Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Spend time with your subject"... interview with MAREK WYKOWSKI.

Marek is a talented photographer from Poland, currently living in Munich. 

1Q) Can you please tell us the story behind this portrait? How you took it and why you choose to shoot this person?
This picture was taken last summer in Casablanca. After a couple hours of shooting I was already on my way back home, but started talking with some people I met and I found this guy intriguing. It was already late, the light was low but I thought I will give it a try. Well, the result isn't technically perfect, but the overall atmosphere of the picture is nice.



2Q) What photography gear you used here and why? What is usually in your photo bag?
At that time I was using Mamiya 645. This particular picture was taken with a standard 80mm lens. Recently I carry around a small digital camera that helps me to measure the light and compose the frame.

3Q) What do you love most about shooting portraits?
There is some elusive factor in shooting a good portrait, something that you cannot put your finger on, but you just have to feel it. A moment when all the necessary elements align and you get a great picture.

4Q) Do you consider yourself mostly as a “portrait” photographer?
No, I rather incline towards landscape photography. I think you can see it in my portraits, I sometimes concentrate more on the background then the subject itself actually ;-)

5Q) Do you work with available light or do you use additional lightning often?
I only use available light. I am not a big fan of flash light but I reckon it would be handy sometimes.

6Q) What/Who are your photography muses and influences?
Karin Apollonia Müller, Clare Richardson, Guy Tillim, Joel Sternfeld, Michael Lundgren, Jem Southam, just to name a few, but I look at a lot of photographs and I get influenced by a number of photographers. In portrait photography I would say these are: Alec Soth, Adam Broomberg, Shen Wei or Vivianne Sassen.

7Q) Any tip for taking better portraits?
In portrait photography there is no better investment than the time you spend with your subject before taking the shot.













Thank you, Marek!

No comments:

Post a Comment