Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Interview with photographer LAUREN LANKFORD. 7Q.

Lauren is a photographer from Columbus, Ohio. Let's hear something about this cool portrait.
















































1Q) Can you please tell us the story behind this portrait? How you took it and why you choose to shoot this person?
This photo was taken at a park while hanging out. I had my camera and flash and we shot around and took some fun photos. I stood on some bleachers for this particular photo. 

2Q) What photography gear you used here and why? What is usually in your photo bag?
This photo was taken with a Canon XTI and a Tamron 2.8 17-50mm lens. I used a 580ex flash held by hand off camera for this one. Honestly, that's usually all I use to shoot. I like using the 1.8 50mm for softer, more intimate portraits though.
3Q) What do you love most about shooting portraits?
Eyes! People's eyes fascinate me, and I try to make them the focus of all my portraits. 
4Q) Do you consider yourself mostly as a “portrait” photographer?
I do. I definitely like to shoot other subjects but portraits are my strength. I'm trying to move a little bit closer to fashion photography, but we'll see. 
5Q) Do you work with available light or do you use additional lightning often?
I really enjoy shooting with additional light - there is a lot you can do with it that you can't with available light, but lately I've been keeping it to natural lighting. I've been doing a lot of softer portraits lately, and less 'studio' style.
6Q) What/Who are your photography muses and influences?
That's hard. Lately I've really been digging Nirrimi and Matt Caplin. Hopefully you'll see more of their influence in my upcoming work. 
7Q) Any tip for taking better portraits?
Get close. I see a lot of portraits that focus primarily on body language or "from the waist up," and that can be great - but I'm always intrigued by photos that are painfully close. Shoot candidly, and don't be afraid to soften things up. Also, if you edit, don't limit yourself to your typical presets or actions. Edit towards that person's or that particular shoot. Play around, a lot.



Thank you, Lauren!

No comments:

Post a Comment