Friday, January 7, 2011

Interview with fashion photographer... LAURA SALGADO. 7Q.

Laura Salgado (Colombia) if a professional photographer who is focusing her career on fashion photography.
She is also connected with production agency called Les Recolletes specializing in fashion and everything about it including photography, catalogues, books etc. 


1Q) Can you please tell us the story behind this portrait? How you took it and why you choose to shoot this person? 
This photo was taken almost 7 years ago. I had a vintage clothing project and this was a way of showing it. This picture was taken with an analog canon. I chose Juliana because i thought that she looked timeless.


2Q) What photography gear you used here and why? What is usually in your photo bag?
I took this photo with an analog canon 10 q, with 200 iso film. I usually carry my digital camera, flash, batteries, 50mm lense and a pack of cigarettes.

3Q) What do you love most about shooting portraits?
I definitely love shooting portraits. I love the fact of capturing the essence of the person i'm shooting, the look in their eyes and how it can be interpreted. 

4Q) Do you consider yourself mostly as a “portrait” photographer?
Totally. I wish I could take photos of a landscape (for example) and find something that anyone else do, but i find it very difficult. With portraits i think I accomplish that. I think i'm able to something that others may not see (until they look at my picture).

5Q) Do you work with available light or do you use additional lightning often?
It depends. If the photo has publishing purposes, or it´s for a client I use additional lighting. For my personal work I love experimenting, playing with the iso values, light with flashlights or desklamps, using all sorts of sources available. Improvising is one of my favorite things.

6Q) What/Who are your photography muses and influences?
Too many influences, too many muses. It goes from one of my all time favorites, Man Ray and the surrealists (not necessarily in photography, Buñuel and Dalí for example with Un Chien Andalou) to Paolo Roversi, and Annie Leibovitz and their vintage timeless aesthetics. Richard Avedon, Rober Mapplethorpe, Steven Meisel, Steven Klein, Inez van Lamsweerde and many more.

7Q) Any tip for taking better portraits?
Just try to connect with the subject, try to know them and read their body language. Communicate with them and make them (and yourself) feel confortable.


Thank you, Laura!

No comments:

Post a Comment