Tuesday, January 4, 2011

MaP 7Q Interview with... IAN STANTON

Highly talented photographer, who really can see people in an unusual way. We have a great example of his film portrait work today:



1Q/ Can you please tell us something about this portrait? How you took it and why you choose to shoot this person?
This portrait is of my girlfriend. I saw the photo opportunity and looked around quickly for the closest camera. I grabbed a polaroid camera on the dresser behind me, sloppily framed the photograph, then snapped the picture. 


2Q/ What photography gear you used here and why? What is usually in your photo bag?
I used some random polaroid camera. I'm not typically a fan of polaroids. I usually shoot a Hasselblad 503cw, a Leica M7 and various 4x5 cameras.

3Q/ What do you love most about shooting portraits?
They are usually very intriguing on an aesthetic level. 

4Q/ Do you consider yourself mostly as a “portrait” photographer?
No. The stuff i posted on my website/flickr are really just for fun. If I had to, I would be more comfortable with labeling myself as a photo conceptualist. 

5Q/ Do you work with available light or do you use additional lightning often?
 I work with using both artificial and ambient light.

6Q/ What/Who are your photography muses and influences?
Too many to list, but some that pop into my head: Michael Schmelling, Nan Goldin, Philip Lorca Dicorcia, Tacita Dean, Kohei Yoshiyuki, Christopher Williams, Tobjorn Rodland.

7Q/ Any tip for taking better portraits?
Patience.


Thank you, Ian!

No comments:

Post a Comment