Friday, February 18, 2011

"Just keep things real"... interview with EMMA KATKA.



1Q) Can you please tell us the story behind this portrait? How you took it and why you choose to shoot this person?
This photo was taken in an abandoned trailer house I found exploring last autumn. It is a self-portrait. I do a lot of self-portrait work in the abandoned places I explore, mainly because I know exactly what I want to portray, and I'm usually alone or with someone who isn't comfortable modeling. 


2Q) What photography gear you used here and why? What is usually in your photo bag? 
I used my old camera, my Nikon D60 with the kit 18-55 mm lens. I didn't use any other lighting equipment, it's natural aside from the photo overlay. :) I've gotten a new camera since this photo, so in my camera bag is my new Nikon D90 and the kit 18-105 mm lens, my 50 mm f/1.8, and my speedlight SB600! I usually work with natural light though, so my flash isn't used that often.

3Q) What do you love most about shooting portraits?
Capturing someone's true beauty or portraying strong emotion that I can't accurately describe in words. It's freeing, in a sense.

4Q) Do you consider yourself mostly as a “portrait” photographer?
Yes and no. I love portrait work but I really truly love to capture abandoned buildings in their beautiful decay. However, I often include a subject, so, heck, maybe I am mainly a portrait photographer. I love faces, and I love people. The different beauty and feelings between different people is fascinating to me. 

5Q) Do you work with available light or do you use additional lightning often?
I love to work with natural light. I use my speedlight occasionally indoors for portraits but not often, I always prefer natural.

6Q) What/Who are your photography muses and influences?
My great friends I've met through flickr and the internet, my personal friends I have where I live, and my family... particularily my mother, who is an amazing artist and musician. People in general inspire me though... I do a lot of people watching. Does that sounds creepy? Hah!

7Q) Any tip for taking better portraits?
Take risks, get dirt under your fingernails, trudge through mud or snow, laugh, don't put any expectation on yourself or your model, and just keep things real and full of life!


Thank You, Emma!

1 comment: