Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Listen to other people's advice!"... interview with MAYSA ASKAR.


1Q) Can you please tell us the story behind this portrait? How you took it and why you choose to shoot this person?
This is one of my best friends named Kristen. The last photoshoot we had was an Edie Sedgwick photoshoot in June 2010 and we thought it was time for a new one. We found this dark looking alley way by accident and immediately knew it was a great place to take photos. I took this photo by setting up the ISO to match the light, which was an ISO 240, kept the Aperture at 1.8 and constantly changed up the shutter speed until I liked the amount of light that was portrayed in the photo. I chose Kristen to shoot because she is one of the most photogenic people I know and every photo of her comes out great. 

2Q) What photography gear you used here and why? What is usually in your photo bag?
I used a Canon 40D and a 85mm f/1.8 lens. I used this lens because it gives me a fantastic depth of field. My photo bag usually consists of my Canon 40D, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye and a canon 18-55mm (kit lens). Also in case of something happening, I bring my old Canon Rebel XT as a second camera.

3Q) What do you love most about shooting portraits?
I love portraits because you can truly get to know a person through your lens. You can capture their personality and beauty in one shot. It's also a plus when you have a model who is willing to do anything to get the perfect shot.

4Q) Do you consider yourself mostly as a “portrait” photographer?
I actually do not consider myself a portrait photographer. I am more of a music photographer and would love to tour in the future as a personal photographer for musicians. Concerts are my favorite to shoot but portraits do come second. 

5Q) Do you work with available light or do you use additional lightning often?
For portraits, I mostly use sunlight or my strobe light. For concerts, I only use the concert lights as my lighting without using flash. 

6Q) What/Who are your photography muses and influences?
My influences are Tom Barnes, Adam Elmakias, Gage Young and Ryan Russell. Each do their share of portraiture, I am just more interested/influenced by their music related shots. 
7Q) Any tip for taking better portraits?
Just keep practicing, constantly try new things and listen to other people's advice! All three of these tips will benefit you greatly in the future!


















Thank You, Maysa!

No comments:

Post a Comment