Wednesday, May 4, 2011

ALEXEY DEMIDOV... Interview with professional portrait photographer.





































1Q) Can you please tell us the story behind this portrait? How you took it and why you choose to shoot this person?
This was a warm day. We were out in the city walking with my wife, so this is spontaneous photography, without any planning.

2Q) What photography gear you used here and why? What is usually in your photo bag?
It was shot on Canon 5d mkII with 85mm 1.2II lens. This is my favorite combination for digital shooting in ambient light because of lens bokeh and picture rendering. Most of the time I use 5dMKII for digital shooting, and canon 1n or Hasselblad 500c/m for film. For commercial work I use mostly Hasselblad h3dII.

3Q) What do you love most about shooting portraits?
First thing you get when shooting people are emotions, some story from their eyes and body language, so this is all about trying to get these internal things into picture.

4Q) Do you consider yourself mostly as a “portrait” photographer?
Yep, this is number 1 subject in all my photographs, I just love people. 

5Q) Do you work with available light or do you use additional lightning often?
For this moment of time my favorite lighting technique is to mix available light with soft strobe light from big softbox or octo. This setup gives you more control over situation, but biggest beauty is in natural light of course. 

6Q) What/Who are your photography muses and influences?
My wife is giving me huge inspiration for my work, she is pushing me forward all the time. My top favorite photographers are Annie Leibovitz, Paolo Roversi, Steven Meisel… They are just perfect in any aspect of photography. 

7Q) Any tip for taking better portraits?
I think that the most important things  in portrait photography are emotions of the person, then goes technic, but in real world everybody start from technical part and they forget about people they shoot. So the main thing is to think about your model first, then technical part.














Thank You, Alexey!

No comments:

Post a Comment